Phonics Support Websites
Suggested phonics websites to support parents
There is a wonderful clip on YouTube that will assist you with the pronunciation of all phonemes (letter sounds).
Oxford Owl - ebooks
1) Follow this link www.oxfordowl.co.uk
2) Click ‘join us’, giving an email address and password. You will then be sent a confirmation email
3) When you receive the email, click on the browser when indicated
4) Select ‘For Home’
5) Select ‘Reading’
6) Click on the red circle that reads ‘Our 250 free eBooks’
7) Select the age range/book types/series
Oxford Owl - Phonics made easy.
A very helpful photocopiable explanation of Structured Synthetic Phonics approach to teaching.
Woodlands Junior School
An excellent school website with lots of educational games and activities.
Dyslexia website providing information and practical help for parents of children with reading difficulties.
The International Foundation for Effective Reading Instruction (IFERI) - aims to raise standards of literacy in the English language worldwide.
A great selection of games that link well with games in Letters and Sounds.
Letters and Sounds
A phase by phase guide to the phonics programme used in school.
Words and Pictures
This is an archived website and is no longer updated.
Big Brown Bear
To enable children to create their own words using ‘magnetic’ letters.
Apps for tablets to support phonics
- Phonics genius (free)
- Mr Phonics Letters & Sounds (£1.49)
- Simplex Spelling Phonics 1 (£3.99)
- abc PocketPhonics (free) – This does not follow our handwriting scheme though
- Ladybird: I’m ready for phonics (£2.99)
- Hairy Letters (£2.99)